James P. Smith (b. 1812 d. 1873)

BC Milburn was the potter that provided James P. Smith with stoneware bearing the name J.P. SMITH. Wares with this stamp are very rare.  JP Smith took over the merchant business from his brother Hugh Charles Smith in 1850, but only ran the importing business until 1855 when he sold it to Oliver W. Turner and John T. Dowell.    This left only 5 years of stoneware production bearing his name.